Sunday, April 25, 2010

Things that make me go hmmmmmm

Hmmmmm in any context is desciptive. It has impact, it shows that the thought process has been activated.

Hmmmm - we all need me time. This weekend my husband and I had separate me times. He went for a 700km Harley ride with his mates to the coast and all around. I stayed home and enjoyed the solitude using it to catch up on 'my things'. I lit lots of incense and the fire, I made some jewelry, I watched some movies, I ate lots of chocolate, I cleaned the house to my liking and spent some quality time spoiling my dogs. I also caught up on what's going on in the world and with some friends.

Hmmmm - "This military order is part of a series of steps implemented by Israel to empty the West Bank of Palestinians, especially by removing them to Gaza. It will cause tens of thousands of Palestinians to be deported from the occupied West Bank. The orders substantively changed the definition of “infiltrator” and in effect apply it to anyone who is present in the West Bank without an Israeli permit. The orders do not define what Israel considers a valid permit. The vast majority of people now living in the West Bank have never been required to hold any sort of permit to be present in their own land and a demand to do so is preposterous."
This is quoted from an article by Nasim Ahmed of the PalestineTelegraph. http://www.paltelegraph.com/columnists/nasim-ahmed
The Hmmmm here for me is initially anger that again Israel is behaving like a rogue state disregarding international law, and secondly, it is frustration that again I am left asking "Why is this allowed to happen?"
There is , fortunately, a third Hmmmm. In researching these developments I have discovered that there are alot of Israeli citizens who are as abhored by their governments actions as I am. These people are ordinary citizens who are becoming active and speaking out at the atrocities carried out in Palestine in their names.

Hmmmm - I have met, and chatted with, many interesting people on Facebook. I was chatting with a guy in Kuwait yesterday about Harleys, and bikes in general, and he has invited Todd and myself to ride with him and his friends if we are ever in Kuwait. After telling him that I am hoping to go to the Middle East next year he said that he will arrange bikes for us to use while we are there. Very generous!! I am so keen now to get my bike licence.

Hmmmm - A friend from Australia is currently in Palestine and sending regular updates of his trip. Yesterday he was part of the weekly demonstration at Bil'in and witnessed firsthand the reactions of the IDF soldiers when confronted with non-violent protestors. He copped a dose of tear gas and was present when a cannister thrown by a soldier hit an Israeli protestor in the forehead fracturing his skull and causing a brain haemorrhage. Five protestors were arrested.

Hmmm - I finally received my copy of Ramzy Baroud's book 'My Father Was a Freedom Fighter'. You have to read this book...the emotional ride it takes you on is incredible but what struck me most was the resilience the Palestinian people have. It is a very thought provoking book and should be read to see the human side of the conflict and the affects it has on generations.

Hmmmm - Our friends were married last weekend in Tamworth. The ceremony was beautiful and the rest of the weekend huge. The Crosby Sisters sang at the ceremony and lots of other people sang or played with the band while others with no musical talent (including myself) danced until very very late.



Hmmmm - it says alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment